Calcium is an essential element of tissues and blood, which constitutes approximately 10 mg/ 100 mL. The average daily requirement of calcium is 500 mg, however higher amounts are necessary during the periods of growth. Calcium Gluconate has the molecular formula of C12H22CaO14.H2O with 448.40 g/mol of molecular weight.
Calcium Gluconate has various applications in pharmaceutical, food, and feed industries
- It is used to treat acid burns caused by hydrofluoric acid.
- Used as a cardioprotective agent in hyperkalemia and in magnesium toxicity.
- As an emulsifier, stabilizer, or thickener, or to control pH levels of some foods.
- Added to foods for its health value. E.g. baby foods, juices, biscuits, and health foods etc.
- Incorporated in pudding preparation for preventing the sour taste obtained by other salts.
- In the treatment of hypocalcemia in cases of milk fever and gross tetany in cattle.