Calcium Lactate has significant advantages over other calcium salts including low toxicity, better palatability with texture, higher stability and low astringency. Calcium is an essential element of tissues and blood which contains approximately 10 mg/ 100 mL. The average daily requirement of calcium is 500 mg, however, larger amounts are necessary during the periods of growth, pregnancy, and lactation. Inadequate calcium leads to rickets and imperfect calcification of bones and teeth.
Calcium carbonate applied for neutralization of lactic acid for producing Calcium Lactate. It has high solubility and bio-availability. Therefore it is a preferred choice in calcium deficiency therapies. Calcium Lactate is available in both powdered and granular forms.
In the pharmaceutical (Human medication) industry
It is an excellent calcium source for human pharma industry for preparing tablets for calcium therapy
- Hypnotics, and
In the veterinary pharmaceutical industry
- In the veterinary pharmaceutical industry, Calcium Lactate is used for treating hypocalcemia in cases of milk fever as it has no irritant effect on body tissues.
- Used to treat grass tetany in combination with Magnesium Lactate.
In the food industry
- In the food industry to enhance the nutrition and health value of foods like baby food, juices, biscuits, health foods.
- Calcium Lactate is mixed in instant pudding powder mixes, in order to increase the speed of the reaction without developing a regular sour taste.
- Used in fortify milk and fermented dairy drinks.
- Calcium Lactate enriches products such as sports as well as health drinks, fruit juices, diet foods, and infant formulas with improved calcium bio-availability.
- It is used as an anti-tartar agent in many oral care products such as toothpaste and mouthwash.