It has sodium lactate (C3H5NaO3) with a molecular weight of 112.06 g/mol. Sodium has a major role in maintaining cell integrity along with potassium. Sodium maintains the proper muscle and nerve functions. Low sodium levels develop hyponatremia condition with symptoms like muscle cramps, headache, restlessness, nausea, fatigue, confusion, hallucinations, decreased consciousness, and coma. Therefore balanced levels of sodium are mandatory for life processes. All feed supplements need to be balanced with sodium addition for making a complete diet.
- It is used as an electrolyte in intravenous solutions intended for fluid or electrolyte replenishment.
- It is used in Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) solution for nephrotic patients and in dialysis solutions for conventional artificial kidney machines.
- Sodium Lactate is extensively used in processed meat to extended shelf life and flavor.
- It is used as a moisturizer as well as pH regulator in toiletry products such as shower gels, bar soaps, after-shave lotions, liquid soaps, and shampoos. Moreover, the addition of Sodium Lactate in bar soaps reduces the water loss during storage.
- In the construction industry as a retarded and water-reducer for concrete.
- In bottle washing as a controller of heavy metal and harness ions.
- In the textile industry as a sequestering agent for heavy metal ions.